The Little Review

27 W. 8th Street

The Venue

Margaret Anderson, founder and editor of the avant-garde literary journal The Little Review (1914-1929), and her partner and assistant Jane Heap, shared a top-floor apartment here from 1918 to 1920, when they serialized in their magazine James Joyce’s novel Ulysses, then considered obscene.  Both were prosecuted and fined, and offending issues of the magazine were destroyed by the U.S. Post Office.

Location, Location, Location