APPLY NOW - NYSS Virtual Summer Sessions
APPLY NOW to New York Studio Schools' Summer Sessions for fees as low as $45 only.
Originally designed to address the importance of drawing as the basis of understanding one's experience in the world, the Marathons are based in an exploration of this most direct route to an enriched understanding of the language of the plastic arts. The innovation inherent in the Marathon program reawakens the way that drawing is experienced by artists and appreciators alike. The Marathons are intensive, all-day programs that run for two weeks at the beginning of each semester and during the Summer Session. Drawing, Painting and Sculpture marathons are offered, both by full-time faculty and distinguished visiting artists, who are present for the entire session. All programs operate along the same basic model of immersing the student in their chosen discipline. The level of commitment reached by participants during the Marathon is extraordinary. Each individual must confront the problems of drawing, painting and sculpture with vigor and intensity if they are are to show that they are equal to the fierce demands of concentration and stamina necessary for the program. Not only are participants fully engaged in the physical aspects of making art, they are also intellectually challenged and stimulated by extensive group and individual critiques. The strong and surprising works made often work as catalysts for future work. Marathons are open to beginning and advanced artists, regardless of their affiliation.
Check out the following dates and apply ASAP:
- Drawing Marathon – with Graham Nickson & Guests (6/1 - 6/12)
- Sculpture Marathon – with Bruce Gagnier (6/1 - 6/12)
- Room with a View Landscape Painting Marathon – with Fran O’Neill (6/17 - 6/30)
- Caves, Friezes & Mysteries Painting Marathon – with Graham Nickson & Guests (6/17 - 6/30)
- Sculpture Marathon: Idea through Process – with Jilaine Jones (6/17 - 6/30)
- Why Paint the Figure – with Elisa Jensen (7/6 - 7/17)
- Color Marathon – with Kaitlin McDonough (7/6 - 7/17)
- Sculpture Marathon: Connection to Form – with John Erianne (7/6 - 7/17)