Update: The Greenmarket scheduled for Tuesday, August 4th has been cancelled due to inclement weather. The first Greenmarket will take place on Tuesday, August 11th.
A locally sourced farmers market is coming to Astor Place! We are happy to announce the opening of the new Astor Place Greenmarket in partnership with GrowNYC. The market will be located on Astor Place Plaza South across from the Alamo Cube and will begin for the season on Tuesday, August 11th, continuing through November 24th.
With a selection of locally-grown vegetables and orchard fruits, baked goods, cider, jams, maple syrup and honey from regional farmers, this Greenmarket is sure to be a community favorite, especially for those residents who were devoted to GrowNYC's previous Greenmarket at St. Mark's Church.
Visit the Astor Place Greenmarket webpage for up-to-date information on at-market activities throughout the season. Keep Farmers Farming, Shop Your Local Greenmarket!
Kernan Farms Vegetables from Cumberland County, NJ
Remsburger Honey & Maple Honey & maple syrup from Dutchess County NY
Wilklow Orchards Orchard and small fruits, vegetables, cider, baked goods, & jams from Ulster County, NY
*Cash, SNAP/EBT, P-EBT, Debit/Credit, and Farmers Market Nutrition Program checks accepted at this farmers market. Health Bucks now year-round! SNAP/EBT/P-EBT users – for every $5 you spend, get a $2 bonus.
COVID Guidelines - Market Safety for Shoppers
We encourage all shoppers to adhere to the following safety protocols to protect themselves, their fellow shoppers, and our Producers and their employees.
- Wear a face covering inside the market space
- Maintain a 6' distance between yourself, Greenmarket staff, farm stand employees, and other customers
- Try to keep your market shopping trip as quick as possible
- Do not bring your dogs or bikes into the market space
- Limit your party to 1-2 people and split up to finish shopping quickly
- If you are sick, stay home
- Do not pick up any products or produce at the farm stands, ask an employee to help you
- If you sneeze or cough, do so only into a tissue (and immediately dispose of it) or into the crease of your elbow
- Thoroughly wash your hands often with soap for at least 20 seconds
- If hand washing is not available, use an alcohol-based hand sanitizer
- Avoid touching your eyes, nose, and mouth
- Wash all produce thoroughly before using it
- Regularly wash your reusable produce bags
- Be patient, and kind--we're all in this together
COVID Guidelines - Market Safety for Producers and Market Managers
We are, and have been since the beginning of COVID-19, in constant contact with city health officials, and we continue to follow their guidance.
Most of our markets are currently operating, though for safety reasons and in consultation with health officials and other market operators, we have implemented the following best practices:
- Dramatically increasing the footprint of our markets to allow for shoppers to be be able to a maintain a healthy physical distance between each other
- Adding additional chalk//tape lines to keep shoppers at least six feet apart
- Requiring all market shoppers, staff, and Producers to wear a face covering
- Assigning additional GrowNYC staff on the ground to regulate customer flow and ensure physical distancing
- Allowing only Producers and their staff may handle products. Customers must not touch any produce or products until after they have purchased
- Separating farm stand spaces with at least 10 feet of distance between the tents, more where possible, to reduce congestion
- There is no sampling of products at markets until further notice
- There is no selling of apple cider by the cup
- All Producers must wear protective gloves
- All farm stands must use vinyl or plastic table covers for easy sanitizing
- All producers need to be sanitizing their stands regularly, primarily wiping down tables, terminals, cash boxes, etc.
- Reminder notices to farmers about proper food handling will be provided
- All GrowNYC staff and Producers must stay home if they are sick
- All staff processing credit/debit/snap transactions must wear protective gloves
- We will provide additional hand sanitizers at our market manager stations