The Village Alliance is a not-for-profit organization created in 1993 to promote the economic vitality of the Greenwich Village neighborhood. The Alliance works to ensure the community’s continued growth and success by providing supplemental public safety, sanitation, economic development and marketing services, hosting community events, and investing in the maintenance, beautification and programming of public open space.
We are seeking applicants for a part-time internship (16-20 hrs/week) to work for 3-8 months beginning late May/early June 2019 through August 2019 and/or through mid-December 2019. Preference will be given to those who can work through the fall, but summer-only applicants will also be considered. The qualified candidate should have a strong interest in one of the following fields: urban studies, urban planning, tourism & marketing, public relations/communications and/or public space activation.
Primary duties will include:
- Developing new content for Village Alliance and Astor Place websites, including blog postings, photo/video content, events calendar.
- Content creation for the Greenwich Village, Astor Place and Made on 8th Street social media channels - Facebook, Twitter and Instagram.
- Organizing and assisting with special events including but not limited to the Positively 8th Street Festival; the Village Alliance Annual Meeting in June; several Astor Place plaza events including the Joe’s Pub/Astor Alive! festivals.
- Managing content of visitor information booth located at Ruth Wittenberg Triangle and Astor Place;
- Conducting field work and follow-up for our streetscape conditions report;
- Maintaining our online databases for street conditions and quality of life issues, as well as retail listings, vacancies and property contacts.
- Providing basic office assistance, including phone/email correspondence; and
- Supporting staff on projects as necessary.
The successful candidate must have excellent verbal and written communication skills and will use superior interpersonal, organizational and execution skills to complete a diverse array of projects in a team-oriented environment. Candidate also must possess the ability to multi-task with attention to detail.
- Prior work experience in an office environment
- Superior oral and written communication skills
- Proficiency in MS Word, Outlook, and Excel is required, as well as Facebook, Twitter and Instagram. A strong aptitude for mastering new applications is essential. Proficiency in MS PowerPoint Adobe Photoshop, Illustrator as well as familiarity with website content management systems is a plus.
- Must exhibit a high degree of professionalism, be extremely flexible, and possess the ability to coordinate multiple priorities and responsibilities simultaneously.
Occasional Saturday or evening work will be required for event staffing.
The Village Alliance is an equal opportunity employer. All qualified candidates are encouraged to apply. Submit cover letter, resume and writing sample (blog, website related is preferable) to: email@example.com Only those whose applications are being considered will be contacted. No phone calls, please.